Who doesn’t like a nicely baked turkey for a festive season? It is especially popular for thanksgiving.
1 14-16 pound turkey (neck, heart, and gizzard reserved)
¼ cup honey
2 tsp ground chipotle chili powder, divided
1 large onion, chopped
12 garlic cloves, chopped
¼ cup olive oil
2 cups of Golden Turkey stock (see recipe)
1 roasting bag
1 metal or wood skewer
- Rinse turkey inside and out.
- Pull all fat pads from the main cavity; wrap, chill and reserve fat for roasting.
- Place turkey inside the roasting bag; sprinkle inside and out with southwestern spiced salt.
- Close bag. Place on a baking sheet; refrigerate 18-24 hours.
- Position rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees.
- Mix honey and 1 tsp on ground chipotle chili powder in a small bowl; reserve for glaze.
- Rinse turkey inside and out and pat very dry.
- Stir chopped onion, garlic, and 1 tsp of chipotle chili in a medium bowl to blend.
- Divide mixture between main and neck cavities.
- Fold neck skin under and secure with a skewer. Tuck wing tips under. Tie leg loosely.
- Place turkey on a rack set in a large roasting pan. Spread olive oil all over the turkey. Place reserved fat pads and reserved neck, heart, and gizzard in roasting pan; pour in 2 cups of Golden Turkey Stock.
- Roast turkey for 45 minutes. Baste with pan juices. Continue to roast until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165-170 degrees, basting every 45 minutes adding water to the pan by the cupfuls if dry, and tenting the turkey loosely with foil if browning too quickly. 3-3 ½ hours longer.
- Brush turkey with glaze twice during the last 30 minutes.
- Transfer turkey to a platter and tent loosely with foil and let it rest for 30-45 minutes.
- Reserve roasting pan with juices for gravy.