Spiced and Roasted Winter Vegetables
- 2 Butternut squashes, peeled and sliced into wedges
- 3 parsnips, peeled and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 3 sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 8 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 TBSP Grade B maple syrup
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 6 whole star anise
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP fresh thyme, minced (thick woody stems removed)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the vegetables, salt and pepper with enough olive oil just to coat.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cinnamon, cardamom and star anise.
- Put the vegetables in a roasting pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Add the spice mixture to the vegetables, then add maple syrup.
- Stir well and continue to roast another 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in fresh thyme and pour over the cooked vegetables.
- Serve immediately.