There are many different medications available for heartburn that it is simply overwhelming. It is because more than 40% of adults suffer from this issue and medicaments are those that should help.
Clinically speaking, heartburn is knowns as gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD) which happens when “the lower end of the esophagus fails to close properly; the result is a reflux of pancreatic enzymes, bile, food, beverages, and acid into the lining of the esophagus.”  You can also read more about GERD symptoms and lifestyle. Heartburn for people mostly is in the form of mild to severe pain. It might also be a discomfort feeling after eating.
D-limonene – orange peel extract
D-limonene itself is made from orange peel oil. Joe S. Wilkins, the Huston-area scientist was the one who developed this natural approach. Scientists believe that d-limonene works in different ways to eliminate pain from GERD.
How does it work
- As it is lighter than water, it floats on gastric juices in the stomach. The orange peel extract reaches inside of the esophagus (food pipe). That is how it might protect “against caustic contents that would have otherwise been regurgitated from the stomach.”
- D-limonene also can enhance the food and gastric juice movement out of the stomach. This way irritants don’t have that much time to make a reflux.
- Provide a barrier against bacterial infections and thus also lower the cancer risk.
- D-limonene can reduce gastric juices the reflux into the esophagus.
D-limonene has profs in helping as a long-term relief. The effect is there already within 20 days. Some prescription medicine for heartburns cannot have such a good effect, especially regarding vital nutrients. They might decrease the absorption of, for example, vitamin B2, zinc, iron, calcium and others from food. No studies have reported side effects of d-limonene. Some study with 22 patients also showed an effect of no heartburn and now heartburn two weeks after stopping this supplementation. For some, it was even up to six months. Board certified nutrition specialist Chen Ben Asher suggests consulting specialists to find the best use of d-limonene and other choices.
Lifestyle choices also can help to achieve a better result by avoiding the following things:
- Chocolate, tomatoes, raw onions, garlic, black pepper, vinegar, peppermint, fatty or spicy foods
- Caffeinated, alcoholic, and carbonated beverages
- Resting within three hours after eating
- Have additional weight
A healthy body weight can help to avoid heartburn in the first place. Health professionals have proved that overweight people experience heartburn way more. It is because “abdominal fat increases pressure on the stomach, encouraging stomach acid to reflux into the esophagus.”
D-limonene and lifestyle choices can help to avoid or relieve heartburns thus offering an alternative to the mainstream heartburn treatment. Don’t forget also about the importance of being balanced and thus keeping the body away from additional challenges.
 Heartburn definition. Accessed from: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heartburn-gerd/DS00095
 Natural Relief from Heartburn! Accessed from: http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2006/9/cover_heartburn/page-01
 Acid Reflux (GER & GERD) in Adults. Accessed from: https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/acid-reflux-ger-gerd-adults