Golden Turkey Stock
- 4 ½ pounds turkey wings, cut in half
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 6 fresh Italian parsley sprigs (leaves removed)
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- ¼ tsp whole black pepper corns
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange wings in large roasting pan. Roast until deep brown, turning once, about 2 hours total.
- Transfer wings to a large bowl.
- Spoon 3 TBSP of fat from the roasting pan into a large pot (reserve roasting pan.)
- Add onion, celery, and carrot to the pot. Sauté over medium-high heat until vegetables are golden, about 20 minutes.
- Add turkey wings to the pot.
- Add 2 cups of water to the roasting pan; place over 2 burners and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits.
- Add liquid to the pot. Add remaining ingredients to the pot and enough cold water to cover wings by 1 inch.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Reduce to medium-low heat, simmer uncovered until stock is very flavorful and reduce to 7 ½ -8 cups, about 2 ½ hours.
- Strain stock into a large bowl.
- Cool for 1 hour, then chill until cold, about 3 hours.
- Skim off fat from surface before using.
I do not recommend store bought stock or broth unless it specifically says GLUTEN FREE. Better if all vegetables are organic and fresh.