Zinc is one of the minerals that have essential functions in the body. Board certified nutrition specialist Chen Ben Asher has noticed that more and more people suffer from malnutrition and might not even know about it. How does one know if he/she has enough zinc in their body?
Who requires more zinc?
- Pregnant and lactating women
Zinc (Zn) deficiency have a negative aspect on different parts of the body. It is not easy to diagnose it. However, some leads might ring a bell.
Signs of not enough zinc:
- White spots on nails
- Reduced sense of smell and/or taste
- Cuts heal slow
- Susceptibility to colds, infections, and flu
- BPH (enlarged prostate gland)
Importance of zinc
- It is essential for infant and children growth.
- During pubertal growth (skin, bone, etc.)
- For lactation in pregnant and lactating women. It adds to infection, etc. risks. Zinc is also necessary for milk for infant growth
- Zinc is the primary component of 70 metalloenzyme complexes
- It is in more enzyme systems than all other minerals together
- Essential for production of stomach acid
- Immune system
- Crucial for carbohydrate metabolism that is integral to insulin activity
- Night vision that is essential for conversion of retinol into retinal
- Part of delta-6 desaturase activity (conversion of Omega-6 and 3 fatty acids)
And that is not all. Deficiency of zinc is also a part of the reason for even more complicated conditions like diabetes, ulcers, Alzheimer’s disease, osteoporosis, etc.
How to obtain a reasonable level of zinc?
- Consult nutrition specialist and give blood tests
- Use quality zinc supplements like Nutrition & Mor’s Balance Zinc-Zn supplement
- Modification or diversification of diet, e.g., eating more animal-source foods, etc. (listed below)
- Fortification that “is a more cost-effective and sustainable” solution that involves “fortification of centrally processed foods.”
Good zinc sources (if not allergic)
- Grains (especially in” rural areas wheat provides more than 50% of the daily calorie intake”1)
- Meat (especially red meat)
- Seafood like oysters
The source of these foods is also vital. The main reason is that the soil influences how much zinc the plant gets. Especially useful are alkaline soils. Have you heard about zinc fertilizers? That is only one of solutions.
Right levels of zinc can help in many ways. Apart from the above mentioned also includes improving the athleticism and weight. That means you can not only feel but even look better. People will also notice an improvement in sleep and energy boost. The overall mood will be better, but at the same time, it is essential to understand that it is just a part of all that keeps the body in a healthy state. Professional nutritional help is the key.
 Zinc and its importance for human health: An integrative review. Accessed from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3724376/