Firstly, it is important to understand that gluten sensitivity is genetic. But it is not always visible, because it becomes apparent when a person has an exposition of gluten. There are common symptoms and some that are not so well known.
What is gluten?
Gluten “a general name for the proteins found in wheat (wheatberries, durum, emmer, semolina, spelt, farina, farro, graham, KAMUT® khorasan wheat, and einkorn), rye, barley and triticale.”
Non-classic gluten intolerance symptoms and diseases:
- Weight gain (check more about obesity here)
- Muscle loss (read more about muscle gain here)
- Pain-reduction effect (through morphine receptors)
- Dizziness (ringing in the ear, problems when walking, problems keeping balance)
- Epileptic seizure disorder (needs genetic testing to rule out gluten sensitivity)
- Neuropathy (numbness, tingling in the feet, stabbing/shooting pain in hands, burning in feet)
- Restless leg syndrome
- Chronic migratory arthritis (joint pain in the arms, elbows, wrist, knees, shoulders, neck due to stiff muscles)
- PMS problems (swelling of the legs, stronger blood loss, anxiety, cramps, severe stabbing pains) due to hormonal changes induced by gluten
- Infertility, miscarriage, problems to get pregnant due to hormonal changes
- PCOS due to blood sugar variation (that can lead to further more serious problems like diabetes)
- Hypothyroidism (sometimes referred to as Hashimoto’s disorder) read about it here
- Vitiligo (one of the less known skin diseases) – it is an autoimmune disease that attacks the pigments of the skin
As many people might have weight gain, not weight loss, it is possible that doctors give misdiagnosis. People might also not have other gluten intolerance symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea. That is the reason why the doctor doesn’t think that gluten could be the problem why the doctor doesn’t see the need for additional tests. There are numerous bowel diseases and IBS that that can be a reason for certain health problems. The main problem is that the doctor will try to deal with the symptoms without treating the cause which in this case is gluten sensitivity. Prescribed antibiotics could be a short-term solution, but later there will be more problems because gluten sensitivity symptoms in adults will keep appearing.
Gluten free diet is one of the options that can help to reverse the problems. However, if the damage is too strong, it might be impossible. It is important to get the right diagnosis because the knowledge of gluten intolerance foods to avoid might have a good impact. But there are also many more changes that a person might need have the devotion. Also, lack certain vitamins like zinc. Supplement Balance Zinc-Zn can help to boost the immune system and absorption of this vitamin. In the case of skin problems, vitamin A is important for skin regeneration. The right diagnosis and lifestyle change with the necessary support can help to avoid or minimize gluten intolerance symptoms.
 WHAT IS GLUTEN? Accessed from: https://celiac.org/live-gluten-free/glutenfreediet/what-is-gluten/rel=”nofollow”