Peppers are members of the nightshade family, which also include potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplant. Bell peppers are in a rainbow of colors including red, orange, yellow, green, purple, and chocolate brown. Green and red bell peppers come from the same plant. As bell peppers mature, their color changes from green to red. That’s why red bell peppers are sweeter than green bell peppers.
Bell peppers are an excellent source of 30 different of carotenoids. They are rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients such as antioxidant vitamin A, B6, folate, C, E & K, and the antioxidant mineral manganese. Bell peppers support the metabolism of sulfur which contains amino acid cysteine. They are a good source of bone-building manganese and magnesium, energy-producing vitamins B1, B2, B3, and B5.
- 10 medium organic peppers (green, red, oranges – I used the bell peppers in class)
- 1 organic chopped onion
- 3-5 organic chopped green onion
- 2-4 organic chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup organic chopped cilantro
- 1-2 cups of precooked rice
- 1 cup of goat cheese
- ½ cup of shredded cheese
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs salt
- 2-3 cups water (depend on the pot size)
- 2-3 tbs organic tomato paste
- 1/2 tbs black pepper
- 1 tbs of cumin
- Cut off the tops of the peppers and remove the seeds.
- Fillings: in a separate bowl combine pre-cooked rice, green onions, cilantro, tomatoes, cheeses, salt, pepper, and cumin. Mix all the ingredients together.
- Stuff the peppers with this mixture and put aside.
- Stew the diced onions in of olive oil until tender and browned. Add tomato paste and 1 cup of water. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Place in a large pot the filled peppers, cover with water, bring to the boiling point, reduce heat & cook for 20 more minutes.
Chen Ben Asher, a Certified Nutrition Consultant MA, CNC, FLT, QRA Nutritional Testing, Member of The National Association of Nutrition Professionals, provides nutritional care for those wanting to improve their quality of life through a Specific, Measurable, Action-based, Realistic and Time-lined programs based on science, real foods, and medicinal foods. Her effective, holistic nutritional approach will support you on your life’s journey to achieve your body’s optimal wellness by losing weight while gaining health.
Like us on Facebook! Share our Newsletter!
Check us out on Pinterest too!